Cart / Checkout

2018 Board of Directors Election Candidates

Elaine D. Geroski, BSN, RN, CNOR, CSSM

Elaine D. Geroski, BSN, RN, CNOR, CSSM

I have been a perioperative nurse for over 12 years and am currently employed by Valley Health at Winchester Medical Center in Winchester, Virginia, as a Clinical Manager of Perioperative Services. I have two certifications, CNOR for six years and CSSM for two years. My current role as Clinical Manager of Perioperative Services involves the management of two departments within Surgical Services, Am Admissions and the Start Clinic. My former role as a Clinical Nurse Educator in Surgical Services was with the same organization, Valley Health. Before the employment at Valley Health, I was Director of Perioperative Services at Paris Regional Medical Center in Paris, Texas and at Garrett Regional Medical Center in Oakland, Maryland. I have over eight years of experience in perioperative nurse leadership.

Statement for CCI Board of Directors
Serving on the CCI board has been a dream of mine since I became a volunteer for CCI a few years ago. The volunteer experience was life-altering and exhilarating, as it inspired me to encourage new nurses to become certified and encourage current certified nurses to volunteer for CCI. Serving CCI as a board member means the ability to help form the future by recruiting new CNOR and CSSM nurses and retaining the current certified nurses. Being elected to the CCI Board of Directors would allow me an incredible opportunity to continue my passion of recruiting, encouraging, and supporting perioperative nurses.

1. Why did you originally seek certification and why do you maintain it?
Patient safety is first and foremost in my perioperative practice. Certification exhibits a knowledge of standards and evidenced-based perioperative practice. Evidenced-based practice increases patient safety and produces better patient outcomes. I originally sought out CNOR certification to obtain more knowledge in my area of nursing practice. As a Director of Perioperative Services at Garrett Regional Medical Center, I created a back to basic program to decrease surgical site infections. This involved implementing AORN standards. By just implementing and following evidenced-based practice, the hospital saw over a five-year period, a 75% reduction in surgical site infections. Protecting patients and producing patient outcomes such as this, is why I not only maintain my certification but encourage others to do so as well.

2. How do you promote continued competency, certification, and lifelong learning?
Promoting continued competency, certification, and life-long learning is a part of the requirement of being a director of perioperative service, nurse educator, and clinical manager. Encouraging nurses to increase their education and to obtain CNOR and CSSM certification is my passion. As a manager and as an educator, I continually help and encourage nurses to obtain their certification and increase their education through conversations about CNOR certification. These conversations are about how certifications and furthering my education has helped to change and mold my perioperative nursing practice. Simply put, role-modeling and mentoring nurses in these areas is the way to promote continued competency, certification, and life-long learning.

3. How do you believe certification contributes to patient safety?
Certification in CNOR and CSSM contribute to patient safety by demonstrating advanced knowledge in evidenced-based perioperative practice. This certified nurse has seen the results of the knowledge gained through certification and how it can increase patient safety. Implementation and knowledge of standards create a safer patient environment. Without the knowledge gained through studying evidenced-based practice to obtain certification, the back to basics program would not have been implemented and the decrease in surgical site infections would not have been obtained. Knowledge is power and knowledge drives change. Certifications provide the knowledge to change perioperative practice for better patient safety.

Marian McCann, MBA, BSN, RN, CNOR, CSSM

marian mccann

My career in perioperative services began 34 years ago, and has taken me across the county to Minnesota and Hawaii and now back home to Southern California. To care for patients at their very most vulnerable, to be their voice, eyes, ears, is truly an honor and one I hold sacred. To be a leader to those that do this daily, in the presence of continually advancing technology, in a dynamic team environment is an even larger privilege. Currently I serve as an Internal Consultant at Torrance Memorial Medical Center (TMMC) in Torrance, California where I am helping the perioperative leadership team and staff improve their quality and clinical outcomes through the application of Lean Processes, APIC, AAMI and the AORN Guidelines. The world of perioperative nursing is one that is not well understood to the public at large, and is often not held in high clinical regard by our healthcare colleagues. I want to serve on the board, to help to continue to bring more perioperative nurses to certification and into the light of world acknowledgement for the critical professionals that they are on a patient's journey through the perioperative care episode.

Statement for CCI Board of Directors
Thank you for the honor of nomination for the board of CCI. The opportunity to serve on this board, to serve my fellow perioperative nurses, and most importantly the patients whom entrust us with their care, is one which I respect greatly. The world of perioperative nursing is often not understood by the public at large, and is sometimes not held in high clinical regard by other healthcare colleagues. The isolation of the perioperative setting, where we care for patients at their most vulnerable time, is too often defined by media portrayal. To support the functions of CCI, the institution that promotes certification and validates the professional nurse’s role in perioperative services will allow me to help penetrate this barrier of misunderstanding, and enable the perioperative nursing community to stand with pride, alongside their nursing and fellow medical professionals.

1. Why did you originally seek certification and why do you maintain it?
CNOR certification was important for to me attain because it was a way to validate a level of mastery in my field. I sought and was granted CNOR certification early in my nursing career. As a young nurse with several years in the field, I felt it was the right way to see if what I had been practicing and studying was in line with the nationally held norms for patient safety standards.

2. How do you promote continued competency, certification, and lifelong learning?
Maintaining and promoting professional certification is a passion for me, because I want patients to have the safest level of care possible. When I first wanted to be certified, I convinced 5 coworkers join me in study group. We all passed! It was infectious for our group and it became our mission to get our co-workers certified. This is where I got the bug to help others grow professionally. and I have been involved since then in every operating room where I’ve worked. It is my endeavor to raise the number of certified nurses so they can feel professional pride and be validated in their work.

3. How do you believe certification contributes to patient safety?
The professional pride from certification translates into increased desire to learn and grow in knowledge. creates better opportunities for sharing and better patient safety and outcomes. Nurses that know what is current in literature and science will know best of practice for keeping patients safe. Certified nurses have an avenue for this knowledge that is current and readily available.

To vote for your preferred candidate, you must actively hold the CNOR, CSSM, CNS-CP or CRNFA credential. To vote, click the below button and log in to your CCI account. On your account home page, click the orange “Board Election” button in the upper left-hand corner to cast your vote. If you need assistance with your CCI login or password, please contact us at info@cc-institute.org or call 888.257.2667.