Steps to Earn Contact Hours
Approved Topics for CRNFA Contact Hours
To ensure the validity of this credential and to be consistent with industry standards, contact hours earned for CRNFA recertification must be related to the specialty of surgical nursing. Although the following is not an all-inclusive list, it provides a broad range.
- Scope of practice
- Nursing process for RNFAs
- Asepsis, infection control, and epidemiology
- Surgical anatomy and physiology
- Intraoperative RNFA nursing behaviors
- Assisting considerations and procedure management (including specific surgical procedures and assisting techniques)
- Surgical hazard recognition and intervention (including lab values and EKG interpretation)
- Communication skills (including professional writing and presentations)
- Professional development (ethics, mentoring and precepting, leadership skills, self-care issues, critical thinking skills, practice management, entrepreneurship, marketing, reimbursement issues, negotiation, and contract skills)
- Pre- and postoperative patient care (rounding, patient education, etc.)
- Trauma and physical assessment
- Patient safety issues
- Discharge planning
- Medical record dictation
- Legal, policy, and practice issues
- Home healthcare relating to RNFA practice
- Technology changes/advances and their effect on the RNFA role
- Healthcare reform
- CRNFA review
- Managed care (critical pathways, utilization review, outcomes)
- Invasive and noninvasive diagnostic procedures
- Surgical complications
- Wound management
- Materials management/Product review
Unacceptable Contact Hours for CRNFA Recertification
- Any program approvers or providers not listed under Accredited Providers.
- Handwritten accreditation statements or provider numbers.
- Certificates of attendance without an appropriate accreditation statement and/or acceptable provider number.
- Contact hours earned prior to the year you certified or last recertified.
- Provider numbers that do not state Board of Registered Nursing.
You may use academic credits to partially fulfill CRNFA recertification requirements through the contact-hour method. All academic credits must meet the following criteria to be accepted toward CRNFA recertification:
- Courses must be sponsored by an accredited educational institution.
- Each course must fulfill a requirement for a baccalaureate or higher degree. Although you may take the course for credit, you needn't be enrolled in a formal degree program while taking the course.
- For each course, you must achieve a grade of C or better.
You may earn half (100) of the 200 contact hours required for recertification through academic credits. Convert academic credits to contact hours using the following formula:
- 1 semester hour equals 15 contact hours
- 1 quarter hour equals 10 contact hours
Home Study Providers
To review a list of home study providers, visit the section.
CME Credits toward Recertification
You may submit Physician Category 1 CME (continuing medical education) units to partially fulfill the CRNFA contact-hour requirements.
Fifty percent (half) of the required number of contact hours may be earned through CMEs.
You're responsible for converting CME credits into contact hours using the following ANCC conversion:
1 CME credit = 1 contact hour