Have you missed the deadline for earning contact hours or completing your activities for your CNOR recertification? Or, do you not meet the eligibility requirements such as currently working in the OR? If so, you can file for an extension by applying for an Extension Year.
What Can I Do if I Am Not Eligible to Recertify?
You can file for an extension of your certification by applying for an Extension Year. If you complete the requirements for the Extension Year process your credential is still active until your new expiration date and gives you one additional year to earn the contact hours or complete the activities needed to recertify your credential. Please contact CCI’s Credentialing Specialist at 1-888-257-2667 for more information.
How Does the Extension Year Process Work?
Some key points regarding the Extension Year process:
1. The process is only available once every 10 years or 2 recertification cycles for the CNOR certification.
2. You must apply in the year that you are due to recertify.
3. The Extension Year lasts one calendar year and there are no extensions to that time period.
4. The accrual period to earn contact hours or complete professional development activities is extended by one additional year. The accrual period for contact hours / points activities is the original accrual period plus 1 year.
5. Extension Year participants are subject to quality assurance audit processes just as other nurses who recertify their credentials.
What is the Fee for Applying for the Extension Year?
The fee is $195. No refunds are given.
Do I Have the Option of Taking the CNOR Certification Exam to Recertify During the Extension Year?
Recertification by taking the certification examination while in Extension Year status is not permitted.
What Else Am I Required to Do to Fulfill the Requirements for the Extension Year?
All fields (e.g., contact information and place of employment) in the certificant’s account must be updated. To recertify your CNOR credential following your Extension Year, you must meet all the recertification requirements in effect at that time and pay the recertification fee.
When Can I Apply for Recertification Following My Extension Year?
You may apply for recertification at any time in the year following completion of the Extension Year.